HICKORY, N.C. – Burt Myers, of Walnut Cove, picked up his fifth Southern Modified Racing Series (SMRS) win of the season Saturday in the Fall Spectacular 75 at Hickory Motor Speedway. It was his series-high seventh career victory on the tour.
Point leader Jeremy Gerstner, of Westley Chapel, Fla., wheeled into the lead at the drop of the green and set the pace for the first 42 laps. On lap 43, Winston-Salem’s Brandon Ward dove inside of Gerstner into turn three and took the lead off turn four.
As the lead duo and Danny Bohn of Freehold, N.J. battled for the top spot, Myers closed in and started to move forward in the top three spots. On lap 59, Myers surged inside Ward off turn two and took the lead into the third and fourth corner. Bohn followed Myers into second spot and kept a close watch on the reigning series champ but was never able to mount a challenge.
Myers rolled to the victory over Bohn. Ward held on for a third-place finish. Andy Seuss of Hampstead, N.H. was fourth with Jason Myers of Walnut Cove fifth.
The SMRS wraps up the 2017 season on Saturday, October 21 at Orange County Speedway in Rougement, N.C.
Southern Modified Racing Series Fall Spectacular 75:
1. Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C.
2. Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J.
3. Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C.
4. Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H.
5. Jason Myers, Walnut Cover, N.C.
6. Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
7. John Smith, Mt. Airy, N.C.
8. Tim Brown, Tobaccoville, N.C.
9. Gary Putnam, Concord, N.C.
10. Kodie Conner, Kannapolis, N.C.
11. Tom Buzze, Maiden, N.C.
12. Daniel Yates, Lexington, N.C.
13. Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C.
14. Crab Smith, Mt. Airy, N.C.
15. James Civalli, Meriden, Ct.
16. Brian Lofton, Lexington, N.C.
17. Bobby Measmer Jr., Concord, N.C.