Collects First So. Modified Tour Victory of 2016 At Concord
CONCORD, N.C. – Late race heroics paid off for George Brunnhoelzl III at North Carolina’s Concord Speedway.
The 33-year-old North Babylon, New York, native joined the battle for first place with 12 laps remaining and passed Ted Christopher with three laps to go to collect his first win of the 2016 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour season and his 26th career tour win.
Saturday at the half-mile oval saw more passing in in the first 37 laps than the tour’s last visit to the track combined.
Brunnhoelzl settled for mid-pack for most of the race until late in the race when he turned on the pressure and took the lead from Christopher off of Turn 3.
Christopher settled for second followed by Burt Myers, defending champion Andy Seuss and Jason Myers.
While Bobby Measmer Jr., JR Bertuccio, Kyle Bonsignore, Gary Putnam and Danny Bohn rounded out the top 10.
NASCAR XFINITY Series driver, Ryan Preece, led the first 63 laps before falling to eighth with 58 laps to go. The 2014 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion ultimately finished 12th.
Burt Myers maintains his lead in the standings by six points over Brunnhoelzl (90-84) followed by Seuss in third with 81.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will be back in action on April 9 with the South Boston 150 at Virginia’s South Boston Speedway.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Spring Explosion 150 Results
At Concord Speedway
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (4) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 85.823 mph.
- (8) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (2) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
- (7) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
- (1) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
- (13) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
- (11) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
- (14) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
- (10) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (5) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 149.
- (12) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 149.
- (3) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
- (9) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 148.
- (17) Richie Pallai Jr., Yorktown Heights, N.Y., Pontiac, 148.
- (15) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 140, accident.
- (6) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 93, engine.
- (16) Austin Pickens, Orlando, Fla., Chevrolet, 22, oil leak.
Time of Race: 52 minutes 26 seconds
Margin of Victory: .474 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: J.Myers (115.875 mph, 15.534 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 21 laps.
Lead Changes: 8 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Myers 1-18; R. Preece 19-62; B. Myers 63-83; R. Preece 84-89; A. Seuss 90-95; T. Christopher 96-132; B. Myers 133-137; T. Christopher 138-147; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 148-150.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 90; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 84; 3. A. Seuss, 81; 4. B. Measmer,Jr., 80; 5. J. Myers