Brunnhoelzl Takes Down Charlotte Win
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 8, 2015) – In the closest championship race in NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour history, Andy Seuss stood alone at the end of the night at Charlotte Motor Speedway as the 2015 titlist.
With a sixth-place finish in Thursday’s season finale Southern Slam 150, Seuss edged race winner George Brunnhoelzl III by three points in the season standings to secure his second-consecutive Whelen Southern Modified Tour crown.
Seuss, a native of Hampstead, New Hampshire, knew he needed to finish sixth or better going into the race to earn a second title as he led brothers Burt and Jason Myers by 10 tallies, and Brunnhoelzl by 13. With Brunnhoelzl’s max-points effort in his victory Thursday, it left little margin for error for Seuss.
In the end, Seuss held his ground to become the third different driver in Whelen Southern Modified Tour history to repeat as champion.
The Southern Slam 150 marked the 25th career victory for the four-time tour titlist Brunnhoelzl, who previously triumphed on the Charlotte quarter-mile oval in 2012. He led all but one of the 160 laps.
Ryan Preece followed Brunnhoelzl across the finish line in second with Danny Bohn third, Jason Myers fourth and Burt Myers fifth. After Seuss it was Jeremy Gerstner, John Smith, Bobby Measmer Jr. and Dalton Baldwin in the top 10.
With the final three point margin, Seuss’ championship victory over Brunnhoelzl topped the previous closest mark of six points in 2006 when Junior Miller edged Tim Brown.
Seuss finished with a total of 393 to Brunnhoelzl’s 390 while Jason Myers ranked third at 385 and Burt Myers fourth at 384.
The Southern Slam 150 was extended by 10 laps due to the one and only caution in the event which came out on Lap 148. The race can be seen on NBCSN on Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. ET.
Seuss and the No. 11 Ideal Racing team will receive the 2015 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship trophy on Dec. 12 in the NASCAR Night of Champions Tour Awards at the Charlotte Convention Center and NASCAR Hall of Fame.
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Southern Slam 150 Results
At Charlotte Motor Speedway Quarter-Mile
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (1) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 160 laps, 52.440 mph.
- (2) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 160.
- (4) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 160.
- (7) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 160.
- (3) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 160.
- (11) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 160.
- (12) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 159.
- (5) John Smith 1, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 159.
- (14) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 159.
- (13) Dalton Baldwin, Dunedin, Fla., Chevrolet, 159.
- (6) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 159.
- (10) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 159.
- (16) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 158.
- (17) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 157.
- (8) James Civali, Meriden, Conn, Pontiac, 153.
- (15) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 146, accident.
- (18) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 144, overheating.
- (9) Cale Gale, Mobile, Ala., Chevrolet, 125, overheating.
Time of Race: 45 minutes 46 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.135 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl, III (61.291 mph, 14.684 seconds)
Caution Flags: 1 for 9 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Brunnhoelzl,III 1-157; R. Preece 158; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 159-160.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 393; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 390; 3. J. Myers, 385; 4. B. Myers, 384; 5. K. Ebersole, 371; 6. F. Fleming, 360; 7. B. Measmer,Jr., 358; 8. G. Putnam, 343; 9. J. Gerstner, 342; 10. D. Calabrese, 324.