Former NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Champion Wins South Boston 150
SOUTH BOSTON, Va. — One last restart was all Ron Silk needed.
The Norwalk, Connecticut, driver lined up to the inside of Burt Myers with 18 laps to go in the South Boston 150 at South Boston Speedway, and the veteran took advantage of his opportunity to get back to the top.
Silk captured his first NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour win since May of 2016 by taking down the checkered flag in the second race of the season. It was the 11th career win for the 2011 series champion, and his first in his first start at the Virginia oval.
RACING-REFERENCE: South Boston 150 Race Results
“It’s always good to win,” Silk said. “Last year, we had some good finishes, and the guys have been working hard and building toward this. Hopefully we can keep being competitive going forward.”
Silk started third, and although he ran at the front of the pack for much of the early stint, pitting for tires put him back in traffic. It forced him to slice his way back to the front.
He passed Kyle Bonsignore for second, and was starting to run down Myers for the lead, but a caution with 24 laps to go set him up in perfect position to make a move on Myers, who hadn’t pitted for tires. He drove the No. 85 Stuart’s Automotive Chevrolet to the point and never looked back.
“I got a good launch and tried to the hook the bottom through turns one and two to keep up the speed,” Silk said. “I was really loose on the first run, but I knew once we pitted and changed tires we would be in pretty good shape.”
Chase Dowling, who made his first start of the season driving for veteran Jamie Tomaino, moved around Myers on the late restart, but couldn’t chase down Silk. The second-place effort for the Roxbury, Connecticut, driver was his fifth career runner-up finish.
“We spent time this winter putting the car together, and obviously we are really happy with it,” Dowling said. “We unloaded fast and just tweaked throughout the day.”
Jimmy Blewett finished third, scoring his second podium in two races, and positioning himself second in the championship, just one point off Doug Coby. Kyle Bonsignore was fourth Saturday and Myers finished fifth.
Chris Pasteryak was sixth, followed by Patrick Emerling, Doug Coby, Timmy Solomito and Craig Lutz.
The South Boston 150 will air on NBCSN on Wednesday, April 3, at 6 p.m.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to the track on April 7 as part of the 45th annual Icebreaker weekend at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.C
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
Saturday At South Boston Speedway South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Ron Silk, Norwalk, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 67.395 mph.
2. (2) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Pontiac, 150.
3. (14) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (9) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, N.Y., Toyota, 150.
5. (7) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (11) Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (19) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (10) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (13) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 150.
10. (23) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
11. (5) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
12. (24) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
13. (12) Blake Barney, Lakewood, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
14. (8) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
15. (29) Sam Rameau, Westminster, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
16. (4) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
17. (1) Tommy Catalano, Ontario, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
18. (18) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Dodge, 150.
19. (26) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Ford, 147.
20. (28) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn., Chevrolet, 147.
21. (32) J. B. Fortin, Jr., Holtsville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 126, power steering.
22. (20) James Civali, Meriden, Conn., Chevrolet, 117, electrical.
23. (25) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Ford, 110, handling.
24. (27) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 100, handling.
25. (6) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 93, power steering.
26. (17) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 50, engine.
27. (21) Timmy Catalano, Ontario, N.Y., Chevrolet, 49, engine.
28. (15) Rob Summers, Manchester, Conn., Chevrolet, 42, overheating.
29. (30) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Chevrolet, 27, overheating.
30. (22) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 26, accident.
31. (31) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Penn., Chevrolet, 26, accident.
32. (16) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet, 26, accident.
Time of Race: 0 hours 53 minutes 25 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.407 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: T.Catalano (103.979 mph, 13.849 seconds)
Caution Flags: 5 for 27 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: T. Catalano 1-59; B. Myers 60-132; R. Silk 133-150.
Standings: 1. D. Coby, 83; 2. J. Blewett, 82; 3. B. Myers, 78; 4. P. Emerling, 77; 5. C. Pasteryak, 77; 6. J. McKennedy, 72; 7. A. Nocella, 68; 8. R. Silk, 67; 9. K. Bonsignore, 67; 10. B. Barney, 62.