Collects Fifth Straight NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Win At Connecticut Oval
THOMPSON, Conn. — Justin Bonsignore has become the modern day master of Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.
The Holtsville, New York, driver scored his fifth straight NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour win at Thompson on Sunday afternoon in the Icebreaker 150. The victory allowed Bonsignore to become the first driver in the history of Whelen Modified Tour action at the historic Connecticut oval to win five straight.
It was the 10th career Thompson win for the defending series champion, and his 21st overall.
“We’ve had speed at every race so far,” Bonsignore said. “I just said that we had to put together a full race and execute. You have to have a little bit of luck to go your way, and we finally got some this year.”
RACING-REFERENCE: Icebreaker 150 Race Results
After Doug Coby won his second Mayhew Tools Dominator Pole Award and led the first 107 laps, the race took a turn for Bonsignore when the field slowed for a caution at lap 99. Bonsignore followed Coby down pit road for fresh tires, and although Coby did beat him off pit road, a penalty for running over his air hose sent Coby to the rear of the field.
While Coby fought back to finish fifth, Bonsignore took the advantage for the restart, and held off South Boston Speedway winner Ron Silk during a green-white-checkered finish to continue his Thompson dominance.
Coby and Bonsignore paced the entire weekend, running first and second, in that order, for both practice sessions and qualifying.
“It would have been a good race, neither one of us would have given an inch, I know that,” Bonsignore said of what would have been with Coby. “We were so close all weekend. I’ve won a bunch here and some of them are just on luck. You have to put yourself in position, and my team always does.”
Silk, who qualified ninth, got back to the track in third following the pit stop, and when Coby was sent to the tail, the former series champion was in position for his second place effort.
“Things are going good,” Silk said. “It’s nice to get a win and back that up with a second today. It’s good for the guys on the team. They are all pumped up.”
Eric Goodale was third, while Patrick Emerling and Coby, who was able to work his way back up through the field, completed the top five. After three races, Coby holds a slim seven point lead in the Whelen Modified Tour championship standings.
Burt Myers was sixth, followed by Matt Swanson, Woody Pitkat, Chris Pasteryak and Jimmy Blewett.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to the track as part of the NAPA Spring Sizzler at Stafford Motor Speedway on April 28
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Icebreaker 150 Results
Sunday At Thompson International Speedway Thompson, Conn.
Lap length: 0.625 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 154 laps, 91.184 mph.
2. (9) Ron Silk, Norwalk, Conn., Chevrolet, 154.
3. (19) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
4. (5) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, NY, Chevrolet, 154.
5. (1) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 154.
6. (8) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 154.
7. (12) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 154.
8. (16) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 154.
9. (6) Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Chevrolet, 154.
10. (17) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 154.
11. (24) Sam Rameau, Westminster, Mass., Chevrolet, 154.
12. (10) Kyle Benjamin, Easley, S.C., Chevrolet, 154.
13. (11) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
14. (3) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, N.Y., Toyota, 154.
15. (18) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 153.
16. (21) Blake Barney, Lakewood, N.J., Chevrolet, 153.
17. (13) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, Mass., Chevrolet, 153.
18. (4) Tommy Catalano, Ontario, N.Y., Chevrolet, 152.
19. (23) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet, 152.
20. (15) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 152.
21. (28) J. B. Fortin, Jr., Holtsville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
22. (22) Timmy Catalano, Ontario, N.Y., Chevrolet, 149.
23. (25) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Ford, 148.
24. (14) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet, 146.
25. (26) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Ford, 130.
26. (27) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 91, rear end.
27. (20) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet, 82, power steering.
28. (7) Rob Summers, Manchester, Conn., Chevrolet, 36, handling.
Time of Race: 1 hour 3 minutes 20 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.449 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Coby (119.332 mph, 18.855 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 23 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Coby 1-107; J. Bonsignore 108-154.
Standings: 1. D. Coby, 124; 2. P. Emerling, 117; 3. J. Blewett, 116; 4. B. Myers, 116; 5. C. Pasteryak, 112; 6. R. Silk, 109; 7. J. Bonsignore, 99; 8. J. McKennedy, 99; 9. K. Bonsignore, 97; 10. M. Swanson, 97.
Photos: Tom Morris Myracenews