Analyzing The South Boston 150 At South Boston Speedway
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 6, 2015) – The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour heads to South Boston Speedway for the first time this season for Saturday’s South Boston 150. Below is a statistical look at the performance of selected drivers at the track:
South Boston 150 Setup:
- Andy Seuss is the only three-time winner in NWSMT competition at South Boston Speedway including the first race held there in 2009.
- Kyle Ebersole and George Brunnhoelzl III are the only other previous race winners at South Boston currently entered in this weekend’s race.
- Rookie Austin Pickens and newcomer Richie Pallai Jr. will both make their first career starts at South Boston this Saturday while Kyle Bonsignore will make his second appearance at the track.
At South Boston Speedway:
- South Boston Speedway opened in 1957. The facility is owned by the Mattioli family, which also owns and operates Pocono Raceway.
- South Boston features weekly NASCAR Whelen All-American Series action on Saturday nights during the racing season, headlined by the late model division.
- The track held 10 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races between 1960-71, 35 NASCAR XFINITY Series events from 1982-2000, three NASCAR Camping World Truck Series dates from 2001-03 and five NASCAR K&N Pro Series East contests from 2007-11.
- South Boston held the 2001 season opener for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, an event won by Jerry Marquis. It marked the only event to-date for the northeastern-based tour at South Boston.
- The first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race at South Boston was contested on April 4, 2009 and won by Seuss.
- There have been seven different winners in the nine previous NWSMT races at South Boston.
- Seven different drivers have earned Coors Light Pole Awards at South Boston since the first race in 2009. George Brunnhoelzl III and Danny Bohn are the only active drivers with two.
- Brunnhoelzl, Jason Myers and Seuss are the only drivers to compete in all nine previous NWSMT events at South Boston.
- Brunnhoelzl is the only driver to win in wire-to-wire fashion at South Boston, on April 13, 2013.
- Seuss was the youngest South Boston race winner at 22 years, 20 days on April 4, 2009.
- Ted Christopher was the oldest South Boston victor at 52 years, 10 months, 12 days on April 17, 2011.
South Boston Speedway Data
Season Race #: 3 of 11 overall, 1 of 2 at South Boston
Track Layout: .4-mile asphalt oval
Banking/Turns: 12 degrees
Banking/Straights: 10 degrees
Race Length: 150 laps / 60 miles
2015 Pole Winner: Ryan Preece
2015 Race Winner: Ryan Preece
Track Qualifying Record: L.W. Miller, Chevrolet, 14.466 seconds, 99.544 mph, April 14, 2012
Active Category Leaders at South Boston:
- Andy Seuss … 3
- six drivers with … 1
- George Brunnhoelzl III … 2
Danny Bohn … 2
- four drivers with … 1
- George Brunnhoelzl III … 6
Andy Seuss … 6
- five drivers with … 3
- Burt Myers … 8
- George Brunnhoelzl III … 7
Jason Myers … 7
- Andy Seuss … 410
- George Brunnhoelzl III … 320
- Ryan Preece … 159
- Jason Myers … 1,292
- George Brunnhoelzl III … 1,287
- Andy Seuss … 1,246
- George Brunnhoelzl III … 9
Jason Myers … 9
Andy Seuss … 9
Selected Driver Highlights:
JR Bertuccio (No. 2 Gershow Recycling Chevrolet)
- Has two wins and 27 top 10s in 49 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts. The wins came at Southern National Motorsports Park and Bristol Motor Speedway (NWSMT) in 2014.
- Enjoyed his best career finish to date in the final points standings (fourth) in 2014.
- In six career NWSMT starts at South Boston Speedway he has three top-five and four top-10 finishes, with an average finish of ninth and a best result of second in 2014.
Danny Bohn (No. 40 Dunleavy’s Truck & Trailer Repair/William Smith Trucking Chevrolet)
- This New Jersey native has four wins, six poles, 20 top-five and 34 top-10 finishes in 42 starts.
- Finished in the top 10 in the final standings each year from 2012-14 and competed part-time last year. Returns to full-time competition this season with Frank and Chris Fleming.
- In six starts at South Boston he has two poles, three top-five and four top-10 finishes.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Composite Technologies Chevrolet)
- Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
- Has 26 wins, 26 poles, 54 podiums, 68 top fives, 83 top 10s and 3,533 laps led in 105 career starts.
- Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
- Won last weekend at Concord Speedway to keep his record of at least one win a season in every year he has competed full-time on the NWSMT since 2008. Ran on the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010.
- Has one win from the pole (2013) at South Boston with six top-five finishes in nine starts.
Kyle Ebersole (No. 5 Ebersole Excavating Ford)
- Has two wins, 21 top fives and 35 top 10s in 48 career starts. His first victory was earned at Langley Speedway in 2013 and the second came at South Boston on Sept. 13, 2014.
- Ranked fifth in points with eight top-10 finishes last season.
- Has never finished outside the top 10 in six career starts at South Boston with an average finish of fifth and three top fives in addition to his win in 2014.
Jeremy Gerstner (No. 15 GMR Lawncare/Shady Grady Racing Chevrolet)
- Competing fulltime again this season for modified veteran car owner Grady Jeffreys Sr.
- Has scored two top fives and 10 top 10s in 28 career starts with a career-best finish of third at Bowman Gray in 2015.
- Has one top-five and two top-10 finishes in three starts at South Boston, finishing fifth last September.
Trey Hutchens III (No. 14 Wix Filters/All Star Truck & Trailer Repair Chevrolet)
- He has two top-10 finishes in nine career starts, both coming at South Boston.
- Has made 20 career starts in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East with three top-10 finishes (seventh at Richmond and 10th at Iowa in 2015, and eighth at Dover in 2013).
- Has two top-10 finishes in as many starts with a best finish eighth South Boston last April.
Bobby Measmer Jr. (No. 74 Powerhouse Recycling/Lead 2 Real Estate Chevrolet)
- The Concord, North Carolina, driver has one pole (South Boston, 2015), four top-five and 13 top-10 finishes in 26 career starts.
- Has made four previous starts at South Boston, winning his first career pole and a highest finish of third last September.
- Enters this weekend fourth in the points standings.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Remington SCT/Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction Ford)
- The 2010 NWSMT champion has 17 wins, a tour record 28 poles, 70 top fives and 108 top 10s in 130 career starts.
- Finished fourth in the final standings last season with one win, six top fives and eight top 10s in 10 races. It was his third consecutive finish inside the top five in the final standings.
- Has two top fives and eight top 10s in eight career South Boston starts.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adams Towing Ford)
- Has recorded three wins, 44 top fives and 100 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 134 career starts. Has competed in all but one race (2005-Martinsville Speedway) in the tour’s previous 11 seasons.
- Finished 2015 a career-best third place in the final standings.
- Has seven top 10s, with four seventh-place finishes in nine previous races at South Boston.
Richie Pallai Jr. (No. 79 Hillbilly Racing Pontiac)
- Has 46 starts in the NWMT with one top five (2011-Lime Rock Park) and eight top-10 finishes.
- Finished ninth in his first start in March driving for Hillbilly Racing this season in the southern tour.
- This will be his first NWSMT start at South Boston.
Gary Putnam (No. 77 Curb Records Chevrolet)
- Won his first career pole award at Bristol last August and has 26 top 10s in 57 career starts with a career best finish of fifth at Caraway in 2013.
- Finished in the top 10 in the final 2015 standings with six top 10s in 10 races, equaling his career-best showing of eighth place in 2014.
- Works full-time at Ganassi Racing in Concord.
- Has three top 10s and an average finish of 10th in seven career starts at South Boston.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Ideal Finance/Phoenix Motors Chevrolet)
- The 2014 & 2015 NWSMT champion has 21 wins, 12 poles, 64 top fives and 84 top 10s in 106 career NWSMT starts. His 21 wins rank second all-time.
- Is the only three-time winner at South Boston. In addition to his wins he has six top fives with an average finish of sixth at the track.
- Joins George Brunnhoelzl III and Jason Myers as the only drivers to start all previous nine NWSMT races at South Boston.
Up To Speed:
- Burt Myers made a late pass around Danny Bohn to pick up the season-opening win and 17th overall in his career in the southern tour.
- George Brunnhoelzl III made a late pass by Ted Christopher to add to his record-setting number of wins on the tour with his first victory of the year and 26th overall.