Bumps Leader Preece On Last Lap, Gets Back In Title Hunt
LOUDON, N.H. (Sept. 26, 2015) – Doug Coby bumped Ryan Preece out of the race lead in Turn 1 after taking the white flag and drove away from New Hampshire Motor Speedway Saturday evening with the F.W. Webb 100 trophy in NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour action.
The contact brought out the yellow and checkered flags for Coby after Preece collected a number of other cars in the aftermath. Preece was scored in 19th at the time the caution came out.
The result was a big boost to the title defense hopes of the driver from Milford, Connecticut, who is back in the game with two races remaining on the schedule. Twenty-five tallies behind Preece entering the event, Coby moved to within 11 of new championship leader Woody Pitkat at 529-518 while Preece slipped to second at 521.
Coby was in control for the majority of the event, but Preece moved to the lead on the Lap 100 restart after the eighth of nine cautions in the event. As they exited Turn 1 of the final lap, Coby got into the back bumper of Preece, sending him up the track.
It marked the 15th career Whelen Modified Tour victory for Coby, and third at the “Magic Mile.” It was also his tour-leading fifth of the season.
Patrick Emerling ended up second for his best finish in 67 career starts. Bobby Santos was scored in third followed by Justin Bonsignore and Ron Silk.
Donny Lia, Jeff Goodale, Chase Dowling, Dave Sapienza and Pitkat brought home the top 10.
The F.W. Webb 100, the 600th race in Whelen Modified Tour history, featured 16 lead changes among four drivers. It will air on NBCSN on Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will be back in action Sunday, Oct. 4 at Stafford Motor Speedway for the NAPA Fall Final 15
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-F.W. Webb 100 Results Saturday At New Hampshire Motor Speedway Loudon, N.H. Lap length: 1.058 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (1) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 102 laps, 81.720 mph.
- (12) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (2) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 102.
- (16) Ron Silk, Norwalk, Conn., Chevrolet, 102.
- (6) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (4) Donny Lia, Jericho, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (23) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (10) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 102.
- (25) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (3) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 102.
- (24) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (5) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 102.
- (29) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (28) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 102.
- (9) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 102.
- (33) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (21) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 102.
- (27) Dave Salzarulo, Enfield, Conn., Chevrolet, 101.
- (17) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 101, accident.
- (13) Todd Szegedy, Ridgefield, Conn., Dodge, 101, accident.
- (15) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 101, accident.
- (31) Danny Watts, Jr., Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 101.
- (30) Brandon Oltra, Alden, Pa., Chevrolet, 100.
- (14) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 98, accident.
- (32) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 98.
- (7) Ryan Newman, South Bend, Ind., Chevrolet, 96, accident.
- (19) James Civali, Meriden, Conn., Chevrolet, 95, accident.
- (11) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 95, accident.
- (22) Troy Talman, Oxford, Mass., Chevrolet, 88, accident.
- (18) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 83, ignition.
- (34) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 69, handling.
- (20) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 62, overheating.
- (26) Tom Rogers, Jr., Patchogue, N.Y., Chevrolet, 43, rear end.
- (8) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet, 43, suspension.
Time of Race: 1 hour 19 minutes 14 seconds
Margin of Victory: Under caution
Fastest Qualifier: D.Coby (130.752 mph, 29.13 seconds)
Caution Flags: 9 for 29 laps.
Lead Changes: 14 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Coby 1-7; W. Pitkat 8; D. Coby 9-12; W. Pitkat 13-17; D. Coby 18-21; B. Santos 22-24; D. Coby 25; B. Santos 26; D. Coby 27-31; B. Santos 32; D. Coby 33-59; R. Preece 60; D. Coby 61-99; R. Preece 100-101; D. Coby 102.
Standings: 1. W. Pitkat, 529; 2. R. Preece, 521; 3. D. Coby, 518; 4. T. Szegedy, 461; 5. P. Emerling, 454; 6. E. Goodale, 435; 7. T. Solomito, 432; 8. D. Lia, 415; 9. B. Santos, 415; 10. J. Bonsignore, 412.