Caps 2018 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Title Run With Eighth Victory
THOMPSON, Conn. — Justin Bonsignore couldn’t have dreamt of a better way to end his championship season on the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour.
Bonsignore captured his eighth win of the season in the Sunoco World Series 150 at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park, ending his title run by celebrating both a race win and a dominating championship.
The win allowed the Holtsville, New York, driver to become the fourth driver in the modern era of the Whelen Modified Tour to sweep all of the events at Thompson in the same season. Steve Park (1996), Mike Stefanik (1998) and Doug Coby (2015) are the other three to accomplish the feat.
“It’s been unreal, ever since we unloaded at Myrtle Beach, we have had a great race car at every single race track,” Bonsignore said. “To come here and to sweep the season, there are only a few select people who have done that, and it means a lot to me. It’s important.”
RACING-REFERENCE: Sunoco World Series 150 Results
Bonsignore started third, but ran just outside the top five for the first half of the race. During a caution on lap 81, he rolled the No. 51 Phoenix Communications Chevrolet to pit road and changed tires. Quick work by his team allowed him to exit the leader of the race, and he never relinquished the top spot.
“We didn’t have the best car, but the pit crew did a great job and got us out there in the end. The car was really good on the second set of tires,” Bonsignore said. “It was the same thing we did all year at Thompson. We were going to race hard because we didn’t have anything to lose today.”
RACING-REFERENCE: Justin Bonsignore’s 2018 Season
He defeated Chase Dowling by 97 points in the final championship standings, with an average finish of 3.4 and top-10 finishes in all but one event.
Jon McKennedy used a late stop for tires, and passed Ron Silk in the final turn, capping his season with a second. Silk was third, followed by Ryan Preece, who led a race-high 83 laps. Burt Myers rounded out the top five.
Doug Coby was sixth, followed by Matt Swanson, Bobby Santos III, Chris Pasteryak and Eric Goodale.
The Sunoco World Series 150 will air on NBCSN on Thursday, October 18, 7 p.m.
Bonsignore and his Kenneth Massa Motorsports team will be honored with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour top finishers arnd special award winners at the NASCAR Awards Charlotte on Friday, Dec. 7.
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Sunoco World Series 150 Results
At Thompson International Speedway
Lap length: 0.625 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (3) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 85.638 mph.
- (5) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
- (9) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 150.
- (2) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (7) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
- (4) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (15) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
- (10) Bobby Santos, III, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
- (19) Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (18) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
- (17) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
- (8) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
- (13) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (1) Ronnie Williams, Ellington, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
- (14) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, N.Y., Chevrolet, 149.
- (23) Blake Barney, Lakewood, N.J., Chevrolet, 149.
- (25) Sam Rameau, Westminster, Mass., Chevrolet, 149.
- (12) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 149.
- (22) Tommy Catalano, Ontario, N.Y., Chevrolet, 148.
- (21) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 148.
- (26) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 148.
- (24) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Ford, 148.
- (16) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet, 147.
- (29) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 147.
- (27) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn., Chevrolet, 143.
- (11) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 132, accident.
- (20) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Toyota, 131, ignition.
- (31) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 93, suspension.
- (33) Cory Osland, East Hampton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 88, mechanical.
- (6) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 82, ignition.
- (32) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 72, handling.
- (30) Dave Salzarulo, Monson, Mass., Chevrolet, 33, engine.
- (28) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 0, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 5 minutes 41 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.448 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Williams (120.553 mph, 18.664 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 28 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-83; J. Bonsignore 84-150.
Standings: 1. J. Bonsignore, 693; 2. C. Dowling, 596; 3. D. Coby, 575; 4. T. Solomito, 545; 5. C. Lutz, 541; 6. R. Summers, 515; 7. E. Goodale, 495; 8. D. Sapienza, 477; 9. R. Williams, 461; 10. C. Pasteryak, 431.